Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Yaa Toh Yeh Dosti Gehri Hain Yaa Yeh Photo 3D Hain!

Still from the movie Dil Chahta Hai, photo uploaded via Google Image Search
Ever wondered why, when you have a beautiful friendship going on with a person of the opposite sex, you eventually fall for that person? And then people around you; they rant the age-old dialogue,"Kaha tha na, ek ladka aur ek ladki kabhi dost nahi ho sakte!" The one line that you ridiculed yourself, is now, the story of your life.

Well, this happens partially, because that person probably is The One for you; but besides the obvious reason, it is because of those bastards lurking around you, called your "Friends". Even if you aren't feeling anything for that close friend of yours, they'll tease you so much, that at the end of the day, you will find yourself feeling a little bit more than just friendship. And then, you fall in love. In short, DEEP SHIT!


Nonetheless, that's the kind of deep shit, where only your friends stick with you. This is just one of the many endless things, that exemplify the meaning of true friendship. I just mentioned one, that is more commonplace.

They usually are an unusual species, you know, your friends. The one with the weird piggy giggle, or the one with the scary staring eyes; the one with the foul-mouth, or the one with the explicit dressing; the one with a fat ass or the one with a flat bod; the one who is obsessed with cleanliness or the one who takes pleasure in vandalism;  the one with a saint heart or the one with the evil brain! You love them for what they are, just the way they are. I know I became friends with a few probably because of their eccentricity. Normalcy is mundane, and sort of boring, don't you think?


They will always be with you. Trust me, true friends always will be; even when you are making out with someone. Just when you think you are alone, there they will be, eavesdropping with their jaws-dropping!
Whether you need them to help you stand up straight when you have gone all bottoms-up at a party, or whether you need them to tell you that you look your best, even when you are looking like a complete doofus; they will be there to do that for you.

The times, when you are all set, to go do the most craziest, stupidest, and are possibly going to make the biggest mistake of your life, your dear friend will stop you at once from taking a step further; only to tell you, "Hang on, I'm coming with you."They do this, not because they support your actions. Of course they don't. They have a head of their own. They do it, to support YOU after you are done with those actions. You are going to need them when you fall flat on your face, aren't you? And they know that so well. You won't admit it, ever, and they will never ask you to say it out loud either. Come on, do you remember telling your best of friends these three words-"I Need You!"? No! I don't. Because I never had to tell them. That's the best part, isn't it?

In school, during early teens, it was the constant aforementioned teasing. Your friends would say, "You like him na?", and you'd have denied it firmly saying, "No!! He is like my brother!!!", like it's a taboo to feel something for someone. You probably might have tied a rakhi to the poor chap to prove your friends wrong.

That, and then the "Kitna hua?" during the exams. I remember exchanging these two words with my pals, till the end of post-graduation! Geek-ish I know, but you probably have been doing something stupider all this while too, I'm sure!

And then, the bitching-behind-one's-back made a grand entry, followed by "crocodile tears" and fake apologies.
Whatever it was, at the end of the day, or if you were slow, probably by the end of your school time, you must have realized who are fit to be your friends. The rest? Well, they are probably going to be someone else's friends. The fact is, whatever you are, good-bad, kind-snobby, smart-stupid, boring-funny, rich-poor, etc.; you do need friends around to bring out your true character and paint your life with colors, that you'd never think of associating yourself with. They bring out both-the angel and the devil in you, and you know, it'd be so boring to live being just one of them.


I probably remember spending time with my friends, gossiping the most.With both-girls and boys! Yes, guys love gossip too, in fact a wee-bit more than girls. Hard to believe, but it's true. Next to impossible, to have it admitted by guys, but it's the truth. Boys would generally talk about the chicks that they "dig" and ask us the "Dos and Don'ts" to get them. And we loved being their relationship advisers. I know I could start legal practice in therapy, thanks to them.

And for us girls, it was fashion that held just too much importance. And how can I forget! The intolerant whining about our looks! We still do that. And will continue to do so, till we become old and unable to get up from bed and look at ourselves in the mirror.

It was college, career, competition, crushes and clothes before; birthday surprises and New-Years' eve parties; road trips and sleepovers, coffees shops and night clubs, fluttering hearts and massive nervous breakdowns, big dreams and constant failures, cheating in exams and crashing private parties, ruthless schemes and honest confessions. Give us the most trivial reason, and we'd be all set to celebrate!

We were all so full of it; trying out everything nice and vice that came across us. And our defense for that??- "Life me har cheez ek baar try toh karni hi chahiye!" This line has now been accentuated by yet another cult-film Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. Kudos to both Farhan and Zoya Akhtar for portraying friendship the way it really exists in real life. You know you've been there, done that after watching some of the scenes in their movies.Yes, I remember my friends and I, looking at each other and bursting into guffaws for no bloody reason. Aaah...there's your moment!


Now, it's more about responsibilities, jobs, businesses; it's all about "who's-marrying-who?" or the "sooooo-not-my-type" prospective grooms and brides that we are made to meet by our parents or the ones who get lucky in love, talk about having a beautiful future together with their soul mates! But yes, gossip, confusions about The One, clothes (at least for us girls) and the very basic "hanging-out" still very much rule. Times have changed, but our interests sure haven't. And I hope they don't.

My friends, they have made my life wonderful. They are my only link to my school and college life. I connect to my past through them. They have brought out the other side in me that I never knew. Life would have been utterly boring without them. They brought out the craziness hidden somewhere inside of me. They have also been my rock, like these big-strong pillars of emotional support. And I may never find a way to thank them for being there for me. The least I can do for them is to stick with them for the rest of my life, because I think I'm quite an amazing friend too.

As for the ones, whom you have lost touch with, it's probably fate or may be it was because you were too lazy an ass to pick up the phone and call them up. But you know that you will always remember the wonderful times that you'd have spent together with them. It's anyway, hard to forget the times when your stomach must have literally hurt because of incessant laughing.
I have been there too. And I swear I'm trying to improve my "perfection" too.





Dedicated to all, who have the capability to make others smile. You are the most amazing friends.
As they say, the one who can make you smile, is truly your friend.
And to all my friends, thank you. I could not have asked for more. 










16 comments:

  1. had to wait a long 4 ur next post............n believe me i kept on wandering wat is goona inspire dis girl nw.............

    n i m glad to hve waited 4 dis ma frnd is pure awesumness...........

    it makes me go thru all dos old days in a glance........

    n i m so glad to hve u as ma frnd..........

    P.S. i knw 4th para rd line last words r 4 me........:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's what makes you special my dear! :)
    and thank you so much.
    for the appreciation and also for being my DCH-Gossip Girl friend! ;) You know what I mean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A photograph is worth a 1000 words.. and this one got its worthy words from you.. great !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hats Off Payal Jain.... You gonna reach the peak.. Really Really Impressive. I am actually Speechless.. Will have to borrow words from you now coz only you can give the right words.. Love You sooo much. And i am soooooooooo proud to be Your Friend. Bestes writer, You cld actually put your feelings on paper which only few "blessed ones" can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awsm girl!!..getting better day by day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bani- Thanks so much sweetie :) Thank you for being flabbergasted...that means I wrote something good. Thank you for the encouragement, and thank you for being my friend. Special dedication to you- coming soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anant- thank you sooooo much man! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Writing comes naturally to you. You are way better than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you anonymous. I wouldn't really compare. Everyone has got a unique style. But thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That s a great peice of work for everyone to read and realise....Is it about me?/....really good one...Simple words to say a sample story lols..keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Payal Jain... You are amazing ! It was the fist blog i have read.. waiting for more from you....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true :-)
    Every line speaks the truth of True friendship... <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. an entire lifetime's worth of experience on a single touch. brilliant.

    ReplyDelete