Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ashes of the Soul

I can smell it from a distance.
It's the call of the dark.
Once again, it is calling out to my soul.
I am aware of its presence. I can feel it so close to me.
It's the only thing that I pine for, when I taste apathy.

I like the way it comes to me whenever I want it to.
The way it slowly burns and the greys fall on the ground.
I like the way it puts me under a spell of trance.
The way it either makes me see all of it, or see nothing at all.
I like the way it makes me feel that nothing matters.
The way it makes me feel self-absorbed.
I like the way it creates a mist around me;
A mist that makes me go blind.
A mist that shuts the world off for me, if only for a little while.
I like the way it has become my escape route.
The way it has become my slave.


Yes, I know the truth about it. I do know the truth about this little twig!
I know that it has enslaved me instead.
I know that it has empowered my existence.
Something that was once just an adornment between my fingers, is now an addiction.
And I know that it is only helping my impending doom happen sooner.
For every time, it touches my lips and enters me,
It takes a little bit of my soul and burns it brutally.
It snatches away the happiness that is somewhere hidden in my heart;
The happiness that is yet to be freed from the dungeons of distraught.
I know it is slowly eating me up from within.
I know how it is decomposing my heart, my body and my soul all at once; very nice and slow.
It rescues me every time I trip,
Only to make me trip further.
I know the truth about it; I know it all.
                                 

However, no matter how much this little white friend betrays me,
I willingly go down on my knees to reach out to it, every single time that life fails me, sells me out.
I welcome it with my two fingers, only to let it come and take away every little bit of my soul;whatever there is, that is left of it.





 


The above content is pure literary work, and, by no means,is published to support or promote smoking.











10 comments:

  1. i m fallin in luv wid ur work man.......

    i jus so luv d way u hve potrayed it..
    hw sumthin in life which gives u happiness is actually takin u down ,eating ur soul body n mind......

    n specially d lines........
    I like the way it puts me under a spell of trance.
    The way it either makes me see all of it, or see nothing at all.....
    marvelous.....
    keep writing coz i jus cant get enuf of dis........

    ReplyDelete
  2. its pretty dark..but the words are brilliant, love the way you've written it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just COMMENDABLE.. U have a beautiful poet hidden in U. Do use your talent to the fullest pleaseeee..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phenomenal piece of writing. You have beautiful unleashed the unrevealed desires our soul wants from something that has been nixed by the world.

    "I like the way it makes me feel that nothing matters.
    The way it makes me feel self-absorbed.
    I like the way it creates a mist around me;
    A mist that makes me go blind.
    A mist that shuts the world off for me, if only for a little while."
    Exceptionally wirtten lines :)
    Looking forward to a lot more..

    ReplyDelete
  5. @birwa-thanks sweetie..and thank you more for the encouragement :)
    mwaaah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @bani-thankyou bann!n i'm gonna try my best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @khushboo- thankyou darling! hopefully, i'll be able to come up with something refreshing and more interesting the next time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Payal! I'm sorry for being lazy and not writing to you about this.
    When I first read this, I craved for a smoke again for what it made me feel, although realizing the fact that that's not your motive. I hate to accept the fact that whatever you've written makes so much sense and I feel bliss when I drag a puff and read the state of mind you've mentioned. A smoke is a high and this piece takes it to another level.
    I made it sure I read this again when I smoke and that's what I did and I feel every word mentioned here.
    Just except for one statement - I know how it is decomposing my heart, my body
    and my soul all at once; very nice and slow.

    I'd like to rephrase it if you allow -
    I know how it is decomposing my heart, my body; yet composing my soul, for it drags me back to trance, where the conscious never lies!

    Keep writing! You're getting better and better.
    Best to you! :)

    P.S. : The actions of smoking while reading this and craving for it has not been encouraged by the writer or her work, but a personal call.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Adhish-No apologies!Glad you commented. :)
    thanks so much :)
    but please don't pick one after reading this. I don't want to feel responsible. Hehe! :P

    And thanks for rephrasing..
    "where the conscious never lies"...beautiful!

    And damn you! Your P.S. sounds better than mine! hehe!thanks for that again!

    ReplyDelete